Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Throw away your cell phone! And don't eat pickles either!

Today the Cancer research arm of the the WHO added cell phones to it's list of items that are "possibly carcinogenic to humans", giving it a 2B classification.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/31/who.cell.phones/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Cell phones are now classified with lead, Chloroform, and DDT among others. That sounds dangerous. So I guess we all need to start using Bluetooth or talking into our phone like a walkie-talkie, otherwise we are all destined for brain tumors.

Or maybe not. Because you know what else is classified as a 2B? Coffee. And pickled vegetables. And I do not think that anyone looks at a pickle and goes, "you know what, I better not. I have had enough carcinogens in my diet today."

It's a shame that all of the media outlets jumped on this story and made it sound as if cell phones are right up there with nuclear waste and cigarette smoking when it comes to causing cancer. They are not. In fact, here is an excerpt from an article today on Yahoo!:

"Anything is a possible carcinogen," said Donald Berry, a professor of biostatistics at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center at the University of Texas. He was not linked to the WHO cancer group. "This is not something I worry about and it will not in any way change how I use my cellphone," he said — from his cellphone.

So relax, exercise a little prudence and be cautious if you must, but don't throw your cell phone away and certainly do not stop enjoying a crunchy dill pickle now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment